Wow, it’s October already and freshers week has officially come to an end. This means it’s time to start buckling down, attending your lectures and the reality of student life is about to hit you like a giant wet fish. We’ve compiled the many trials and tribulations you’re bound to face as you encounter your first few years of proper adulthood at university.
1) Arriving freshers week, fresh faced and full of optimism. You’re going to attend all your lectures, buy all your books and join all the societies. Hey, you might even become a student rep; it’ll all look great on your CV.
2) Then attending your first lecture and realising you know nothing, have time for nothing and want to do, you guessed it, nothing.
3) As the assignments pile in, nights out become a distant memory. What’s a social life again?
4) That naïve optimism you once had quickly fades, and you become a pro at procrastination.
5) Then comes the inevitable mid-term breakdown which you will experience every, single, year.
6) This will continue until you become numb.
7) You try to devoid yourself of any kind of responsibility.
8) Lectures now become a hindrance as opposed to exciting learning opportunities.
9) Doing 99.9% of the work in that group assignment that counts massively towards your degree.
10) Before and after your student loan comes in.
11) When you eventually start going through your laundry pile.
12) Your weekly shop of fresh veggies and meat slowly disintegrates to supermarket value noodles.
13) Creating inventive cocktails with basics vodka and squash.
14) Furiously despising anyone who got a first in that assignment you got a referral for.
15) How often are you supposed to wash bed sheets and towels again?
16) Setting numerous alarms in the morning so you’ll actually get out of bed.
17) Phoning your mum in a tizzy saying you want to come home every couple of weeks.
18) Getting to final year and looking at photos of you and the squad in first year, reminiscing about how far you’ve come.
19) Those rare moments where you definitely feel you’ve got your life together, you’re adulting, you’re going places.
20) The inevitable moment when you graduate, and realise you’ve got to work for the rest of your life. Easy.
Don’t forget to follow The Student Housing Guide on Twitter and Facebook.